I hope you are all doing well. Below are a few highlights from this week.
But first, here are few reminders for next week:
- Please see the schedule and details below regarding cooking a healthy meal at school.
- The Virtual BookFair is starting next Monday, November 9th (see flyers in agenda).
- Photo Retakes are next Tuesday, November 10.
- Art cards samples came home this week (if your child was able to submit their art card). This is an important fundraiser for our school. If you are interested in ordering art cards, the deadline is Monday November 16th.
- Next Wednesday, November 11, is Remembrance Day and school is not in session.
Today, we had our first Verbathon competition. This activity is a fun and motivating way to practice French grammar, mainly verb conjugation. Students worked as a team to sort verbs in the chart according to the right conjugation, as fast as possible.
I can see that some students need a bit more practice, so we will keep these verbs next week and only add one new verb.
Students can practice on Prodigy over the weekend (it will ask them questions about equivalent fractions, improper fractions and mixed numbers). Khan Academy is also a good option for practicing the concepts that we have been working on in class. The following unit on Adding and Subtracting fractions uses similar skills and includes tutorial videos that can be helpful if a student forgot how to do this.
Health, Food Studies and Science
Healthy Meal Project
Meals need to have an emphasis on fresh/whole ingredients and include a good source of protein and healthy fats, as well as a variety of fruits and vegetables. They also need to limit the amount of sugar, trans fat and processed ingredients.
Geneviève, our educational assistant, will assist each team for an afternoon of food preparation over the next couple of weeks. Geneviève is also a trained chef and co-owner of a local company producing fresh pasta. She has offered to share with us some of her specialized kitchen equipment and expert cooking tips. She will also supply free local pasta from her company for students to use in their recipes if desired. Thank you Geneviève!
Tuesday Nov. 10
Thursday Nov. 12
Health and Safety considerations
- Hand washing and sanitization of surfaces and tools/equipment will be emphasized;
- Students will wear masks while handling food as extra precaution;
- Students in each group will have a chance to eat the meal that they have prepared, but it will not be shared with other students.
Regarding allergies, students are taking into consideration the food sensitivities and allergies within their group while planning their meal. Each group will prepare their meal on a different afternoon and everything will be cleaned to avoid cross-contamination between groups.
If you have any concern about your child participating in this activity or if you have suggestions to help ensure that your child's specific needs are taken into account, please contact me.